Wednesday, 25 September 2013

My Favourite Chocolate Ever: Madecasse

When I went vegan, Lindt was my gateway drug - it started me legitimately enjoying dark chocolate, instead of tasting that 'dirty' bitterness. Now I'm a hopeless choccy snob. My favourites are fruity darks and raws (Pana Chocolate anyone? - reviewing on Friday) - and so, I figured I'd better blog about this brand. They've been far and away my favourite dark chocolate for a good few years now and everyone should know about them! Meet Madecasse's sea salty nibs bar and the pink pepper and citrus:

Cute packaging, right? They come foil-wrapped in adorable paper sleeves, folded over and tied with a bit of raffia. I like this. It's like buying yourself a present!



The bars have a gorgeous almost reddish colour to them - different to most other dark chocs I've tried. And the flavour is fantastic. The salty nibs bar has a subtle crunch and the salt in it appears to be quite large, so the occasional bite is really intense. The pepper is more obviously flavoured - you can taste it in every bite, but it's not overpowering and works well with the chocolate. The citrus I find really faint, so I tend to just think of this as the "pepper" bar. They're on the "darker" side of things, and I'm not generally one to understand all that flavour profiling bullshit that comes with labels, but there is a definite fruitishness to these. They're rich and smooth and utterly fantastic, but definitely a chocolate for dark chocolate lovers. (If you're vegetarian, I have it on good authority the Arabica Coffee milk bar is brilliant too.) They also have plain milks and darks, as well as a fascinating sounding cinnamon-pepper dark bar.


  But the really cool thing is: they're fair-trade, but not only that - the bars are made in Madagascar. According to their Facebook, they were inspired by their time in the Peace Corps and wanted to give back. Seems like they're doing it too - producing the chocolate itself in Madagascar apparently creates four times the impact of just using fair-trade cocoa beans. So they're delicious and ethical! Awesome.


I got mine from Leo's in Heidelberg - be warned, not all flavours are vegan so read carefully, but these two are and they're glorious. You're looking at about $5 a bar, but if you're going to try a nice chocolate any time soon, make it these. You won't regret it.

8 comments:

  1. I adore this chocolate too. Have yet to have a flavour I didn't enjoy - I particularly like the two that you feature here! Plus it ticks all my ethical boxes.

    They recently brought out a coconut flavour - I have bought it, but am yet to taste. I expect it will be excellent.

    I also like that the bars come in little sizes, which is great if (like me) one gets bored of a flavour fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad someone else loves it! It's amazing! I just read about the coconut - is it vegan? Going to be so excited if it is. Where do you get yours? Seems pretty thinly stocked round these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the coconut is vegan! I got mine at the Brunswick IGA on Sydney Road, which seems to have the full range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. Thanks for the heads up, I'm gonna go and buy one of everything that's veg to try out! Especially if they carry lots of veg-friendly stuff!

      Delete
  4. I was just raving about all the chocolates at Brunswick IGA tonight - must check out if it has this chocolate - I love lindt salted chocolate (can't remember the name) so would love to try this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'll adore this then - the nibs make it totally perfect - and the toasted coconut sounds amazing too. Guess I'm going to Brunswick IGA on the weekend!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I think there's only one or two with dairy in them: the coffee bean bar and there might be a plain milk one too? It's worth checking the label, though, just in case. :-)

      Delete