Saturday, 28 September 2013

Sort Of A Fail: Lancashire Lentil Bake

I came across this recipe via Green Gourmet Giraffe some months ago and thought, hey, that looks incredible, let's give it a go! So we got cooking. We mixed up the stock and flavourings, fried the tempeh in the wine, and then my mother looked at it, pulled a 'blech' face and said "Why don't we use lentils?" It was brilliant. It's been on our regular rotation ever since and I've been meaning to blog about it for a while now. Except, in true Murphy's Law fashion, the one day I take pics, I screw it up. Yay.

What differs in using lentils instead of tempeh: make up your stock mix using the whole 500ml. Add in a generous splash of red wine. Then, instead of frying off the lentils (why bother?) just drain and rinse. Prep and fry your other veggies in the interim - you've got more liquid here, so I add some other veggies like peas and celery. You can just throw peas in frozen, as they've got 2+ hours in the oven to go soft and delicious. Once your veggies are fried off and floured, add your stock and your lentils, bung it all in a pan and layer your spuds on top: 


 The little flecks are dulse flakes. I add them to my salt shaker for added iodine and to feel healthy whenever I salt the hell out of everything.



Again, 140 for 2 hours, then up the oven to 200 for however long you think it needs. I pulled it out at about the 2.75 hour mark and thought - why are the potatoes not brown? Why is there so much liquid?

BECAUSE MY FREAKING OVEN BROKE. THAT'S WHY.



So I got this instead, and it was pretty good, but not nearly as tasty as it usually is. Usually it's thick and sticky and gravyish and very comforting. This didn't really taste like it'd had 3 hours in the oven, and I was sad about it.


Lesson learned: do not break your oven. 
(But, if you're like me and haven't learned to love tempeh - try this recipe with lentils! You might learn something.)

3 comments:

  1. oh my oven works like that all the time - never browns and drives me crazy (though it is not broken just slow) - I think this sounds great - though I think you might have got it from where's the beef rather than my blog (unless I mentioned it somewhere because I want to make it too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! This is really an amazing and attractive post. I appreciate your posted wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing such an interesting post. Beerbox Hat

    ReplyDelete