Sunday, 13 October 2013

Flu House, Episode 2: Brinner

One thing I have been able to eat comfortably the past fortnight is the vegan omelette recipe from Vegan Brunch. I figure it's good for me when I'm off-colour - tofu, nooch, a bit of turmeric, besan, not a whole lot else. It's super easy to put together (although god damn black salt smells like farts - anyone else cringe when they use it?), even simpler to cook and takes very little time and effort. So I got inspired and thought: brinner! Let's do this.

First I got a batch of tempeh bacon going the day before. This is the tempeh-not-bacon marinade from Where's The Beef, doubled, with half the amount of tomato paste. The marinade tastes super delicious and you will stick your finger in it at least once. I laid out my tempeh, poured over the marinade, loosely cling-wrapped it for the fridge and this is what came out the next day:
Yum.

Next: hash browns. I peeled and grated a big fat potato, squeezed out as much water as I could with my hands, then applied tofu principles and pressed it for a bit inside a teatowel:

Seasoned with salt and nothing else, low heat in a pan to cook through, then turned up to crisp. I liked the result I got here: the closest thing I can liken it to is Ikea's frozen rostis if you've tried them - but less gummy-textured. I'm not a fan of the all-crisp and no middle kinda hash brown, so this was exactly what I wanted. If you like your potato super duper crispy, look elsewhere, and perhaps invest in a potato ricer.
Before it broke apart while being flipped.

And finally: omelette. This is the recipe from Vegan Brunch (helpfully transcribed by Where's the Beef here). Flavour-wise, I add herbs - dried thyme, rosemary, basil and oregano, a little grated Cheezly, some bush tomato seasoning and a little diced tomato into the batter. Plain, this recipe doesn't do much for me; like this it's delicious! Below is the one time in the last twenty that my omelette flipped perfectly. I'm a little proud:


Plonked everything together:

Dat beige.

After I took this pic, I wrapped up that tempeh in (vegan) buttered multigrain toast and it was the best thing. My mother shoved everything into one big sandwich and said it was delicious. She is already planning the next bumper sandwich. (I've got a picky eater enjoying tempeh! Go me!)
I always forget how awesome brinner is - it should really happen more often. Now to get me a waffle iron so I can REALLY have the brinner experience. Next time: chicken and waffles? Everything and waffles?!

No comments:

Post a Comment