Monday, 28 October 2013

How To Make Some Pretty Good Garlic Bread

When you look in the supermarket there's really only two options for garlic bread: not vegan or containing palm oil. Not cool. But I've missed them like crazy - they were a huge part of being a teenager. So, I figured out a way to make my own!

First: vegan baguette, cut it in half. (Baker's Delight ones are vegan - or use your favourite.) Slice the remaining half almost-to-the-bottom but keeping it in one piece. You're looking at about 2cm-1 inch pieces here. Set aside.


Garlic butter time! Here's my ratio. I would suggest starting with this, and don't omit the powder or minced garlic - to get that supermarkety taste you really need both.

2 heaped tbsp. vegan margarine of choice
1 scant tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. minced garlic (if using fresh, play with the amount - maybe less would be better)
approx. 1/4 tsp. each dried rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley
a quick shake of onion salt

Smush it all up together and smear it inside your cut baguette. Make sure to get it deep in there or your slices will only be half-garlicked, and that's disappointing. I personally can use this amount for a whole baguette, but use however much feels right to you (but not so much that it gets slimy.. that's a good way to out-garlic yourself). You can freeze the remainder quite easily, I should think. I haven't done it, but I have about a tablespoon in an ice-cube tray in the freezer right now so we'll see.


Next: rub a little extra of your butter over the top of your baguette, and sprinkle on a good teaspoon or more of sesame seeds. If you fancy it, toasting them would be even better!


Bake. I go for 200c until crisp, maybe ~10 minutes. I tend to cook these on the bare oven rack with a tray below to catch errant seeds - that way it browns evenly. If you're a traditionalist, wrap it in foil and do it that way! Eat this over a plate or a teatowel though - the sesame seeds are messy. But so worth it.


Seriously. Yum. Try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment