Tuesday, 4 February 2014

Sweetwater Inn: Still Excellent

My birthday falls in summer, which is usually a royal pain in the butt. This year I knew exactly where I wanted to lunch, though: Sweetwater Inn. After my last visit I've been dying to go back and sample more of the menu; it's the perfect summery joint to kick back with a drink and some good food on a warm afternoon.

This time I couldn't resist the cocktail menu. This is the Tin Can Kel, $10:

It went to my head a bit early so I don't know how accurate my description is - but there was tequila, lime, mint on the top, elderflower cordial. I enjoyed it a lot; it wasn't your typical sweet cocktail and there was something almost tea-ish about it. Also, I was tickled it was served in an actual tin can. Even Sweetwater's drinks are gorgeous.

After having already sampled the rissole sandwich, I really couldn't go past the BBQ faux-chicken with salad and battered chips for lunch, $18:

This was ridiculous, in the best way. The BBQ sauce was on the tangy side and cut through the oil of the chips really nicely. There was a flaky texture there, but not tofu-skin flaky - I have no idea what's in it, but it was charry (actual char marks! you guys!) and a little sticky and totally flavoursome. Chips and salad were great - these battered chips they do are sublime. This was a brilliant meal, beautifully presented and really satisfying when you want classic pub food done really well.
I think Sweetwater is easily my favourite discovery of the past six months. They've taken the Aussie pub idea and made it better - great food, interesting drinks (that cocktail menu!) and fantastic service. Prices are reasonable, the place is amazing to look at and overall, I'm just pretty happy this place exists and that I can give them money for food like this. Word of warning, though: the menu on the site is out of date - the pie floater is extinct, but there's still the rissole sandwich, the mock-fish and chips and some really interesting new stuff. Still amazing! 

4 comments:

  1. I love char marks! I've been hanging out to visit this place, there's nothing like some good old vegan pub food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do go while they're still doing the summer menu! They have some BBQ ribs on there too that are probably just as charry.. pretty sure I'm going to have to get me some of those actually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! I am jealous. It has been too, too long since I went to Sweetwater Inn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to stop by. But, I think it might have to wait until this summer. I did not know that Serlkay had ever expanded its size. I must say that a succesful family owned business in this day and age is a very refreshing sight! As well as this is a very refreshing site!
    conference centre in coquitlam

    ReplyDelete